How to implement a Voice Assistant into your PowerApp
Using the Alan Power Apps Framework
The Alan Platform now lets you create a voice assistants for your Power Apps. To get a free Alan Studio account, sign up using your Github at https://studio.alan.app
To define the voice assistant for your application, review the documentation here.
Step 1. Get the Alan SDK for Power Apps
First, you need to get the Alan Power Apps SDK and import it to the Power Apps Studio:
- Open Alan Power Apps SDK release page on Alan GitHub.
- Download the latest
- Log in to Power Apps Studio. On the left, select Solutions.
- Using the command bar at the top, select Import.
- On the Import a solution page, click Browse and select the ZIP file you have downloaded.
- Proceed importing with the default options. At the last step, click Import. For more details on importing components, see Import Solutions.
Step 2. Add the Alan Button Component to your PowerApp
In the left menu of the Power Apps Studio, click Apps.
- Create a new app or use your existing app project that you want to add your voice assistant to.
- Go to Insert > Custom > Import component.
- On the Import components page, open the Code tab, select the Alan Button Component and click Import.
- In the menu on the left, click the “+” icon, expand Code components and click Alan Button Component to add it to your app.
You do not need to define the Alan button position — the button is automatically set in the bottom right corner of the screen.
Step 3. Insert the Alan SDK key
You need to insert the Alan SDK key from your Alan Studio project into the Alan Button Component properties.
- In Alan Studio, go to Integrations and copy the value from the Alan SDK Key field.
- In the Power Apps Studio, select the Alan Button Component added to your app.
- In the Controls pane, open the Advanced tab and in the alanSdkKey field, paste the key value you’ve copied inside the quotes.
Step 4. Save, publish and share your app
After you’ve added the Alan button to your project, you can publish and share your app to let users interact with the voice assistant:
- To preview the app, click its name in the apps list or select the app and on the command bar, and click the Play button.
- To save and publish the app, from the File menu, select Save as and choose the destination: Cloud or Your computer. For details, see Save and publish a canvas app in Power Apps.
- To share the app, select it in the apps list and on the command bar, click the Share button. For details, see Share a canvas app in Power Apps.